This vegan asparagus soup is a creamy, vibrant, and well-balanced dish perfect for weekday lunches and dinners. Combined with fresh pineapple, pine nuts, garlic, and red pepper flakes, each bite draws you in for more. Ready in 45 minutes or less, this recipe is great for meal prep to get you through a busy week.
Why you’ll love this asparagus soup recipe
- Simple ingredients: Using simple preparation techniques, this recipe is easy to make for all levels of cooks.
- Budget-friendly: With easy-to-find and affordable ingredients, you’ll be reaching for this recipe over and over again.
- Diet-friendly: This asparagus soup is vegan and gluten-free, making it easy to include in a wide variety of lifestyles.
- Great for meal prep: Making a double or triple batch is worth it since this recipe stores so well. Keep extra on hand for meal prep during busy weeks!
What is asparagus soup?
Asparagus soup is a quick and easy recipe that features, you guessed it, asparagus! To level off the savory notes, I love adding fresh pineapple cubes. Trust me, this combination works incredibly well!
With the addition of pine nuts, garlic, lemon, vegetable broth, and red pepper flakes, this vegan asparagus soup provides the perfect balance of sweet, savory, spicy, and acidic flavors that will satisfy any palate for lunch or dinner.
Is asparagus soup vegan?
To add richness, milk or cream is often added to traditional asparagus soup recipes. In this version, I’ve solved that problem by using pine nuts, which lend a thick, savory, and creamy texture once blended.
If you prefer a little more depth, try adding a touch of coconut milk to the broth. It’s the perfect dairy-free option!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Asparagus: I prefer to use fresh asparagus over frozen. If you do use frozen asparagus, let it thaw completely and dry it well before roasting.
- Pineapple: Similarly to asparagus, fresh pineapple offers sweeter, more intense flavors than canned or frozen pineapple. However, if you don’t have access to fresh, you can use an equal amount of frozen pineapple. Just make sure to measure it once it’s completely thawed and drained.
- Lemon: The tart acidity of lemon adds brightness to this recipe. You will need a fresh lemon since it is roasted with the pineapple and asparagus.
- Vegetable broth: Both store-bought and homemade broth work. If you don’t have vegetable broth, use an equal ratio of water.
- Pine nuts: To add a rich, buttery flavor and texture to the soup. For a more affordable option, use cashews or sunflower seeds.
- Garlic & red pepper flakes: For seasonings, I went with garlic and red pepper flakes, which give zesty and spicy tasting notes. They can also be replaced with onion, cayenne, or spices of your choosing.
- Olive oil: I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil for roasting the asparagus and pineapple. You can also substitute it with avocado oil.
- Salt & pepper: To enhance the other flavors of this vegan asparagus soup recipe.
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, then place the asparagus, chopped pineapples, and lemon on a baking tray. Drizzle them with olive oil, minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Roast them for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Step 2: Once the roasted asparagus and pineapple are cool enough to handle, transfer them into a blender.
- Step 3: Squeeze the juice of the roasted lemon into the blender and throw away the peel.
- Step 4: Add the pine nuts and vegetable broth, then blend on high until you achieve a soupy consistency.
- Step 5: Pour the blended soup into a heated pot over the stove and add sea salt to taste (I use 1 teaspoon).
- Step 6: Bring the soup to a slight simmer, then remove from heat. Reheating the soup is optional, and it’s only necessary if you prefer your soup piping hot.
- Step 7: Garnish this vegan asparagus soup with extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes before serving.
What to serve with soup
Asparagus soup tastes incredible on its own, but it becomes that much better when it’s paired with sides like these:
- Harvest salad
- Chickpea apple kale salad
- Pickled beet salad
- Roasted beet and fennel salad
- Garlic bread or baguettes
If you have leftover asparagus soup, follow these storage guidelines:
- Fridge: Let the soup cool completely, then store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Transfer the cooled soup to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag with the air removed. It will last for up to 6 months this way.
- Reheating: Thaw the soup in the fridge overnight, then heat up the leftovers in a pot over medium, stirring until warm.
Note: This vegan asparagus soup will thicken in the fridge. I find once it’s heated and stirred, the consistency returns to normal. If it doesn’t, add water 1-2 tablespoons at a time to thin it out.
- Oil-free: For an oil-free version, omit the olive oil completely and add a few more nuts.
- Garnishes: Top this soup with croutons, extra pine nuts, fresh herbs, vegan yogurt, etc.
- Rich and creamy: For a richer, creamier version, add coconut milk in place of some broth or water.
- More flavor: Use seasonings like curry powder, lemongrass paste, cilantro, or basil for a dash of extra flavor!
- Use a high-speed blender. For the smoothest soup, I recommend using a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
- Adjust as you go. Once it’s blended, taste and slowly adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Use fresh produce: The featured ingredients in this soup are asparagus and pineapple, so it’s important to use the highest quality produce you can get your hands on!
You don’t have to soak asparagus before cooking it. Some cooks like to soak theirs in water, but I don’t find it necessary.
Yes, this vegan asparagus soup is also gluten-free.
For more flavorsome recipes like this vegan asparagus soup, check out some of my go-to mains:
- Vegan ramen: Lemongrass-infused broth filled with ramen, tofu, and vegetables.
- Moong masoor dal: A rich, creamy, and flavorful dal.
- Tofu bowl: A healthy grain bowl featuring tofu, edamame, kale, and farro.
- Baked Pasta: The vegan version of this viral Tiktok recipe.
Vegan Asparagus Soup
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chopped
- ½ fresh cut lemon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup pine nuts unsalted
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- crushed black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the asparagus, chopped pineapples, and lemon on a baking tray, and then drizzle with olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt (¼ teaspoon). Roast for 30 to 35 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, place the roasted asparagus and pineapple into a blender.
- Squeeze the juice of the roasted lemon into the mix and throw away the peel.
- Add the pine nuts and vegetable broth and then blend until you achieve a soupy consistency.
- Pour soup into a heated pot over the stove and add sea salt to taste (I use 1 teaspoon). Bring the soup to a slight simmer, and then remove from heat. (Reheating the soup is optional. This step is only if you must have your soup piping hot).
Leave a Reply