Try a vegan version of the infamous TikTok ramen for a quick, easy, and satisfying recipe. Skip the broth, and instead mix ramen noodles with a sweet and spicy soy sauce, Just Egg, and Everything Bagel Seasoning. Top it all off with fresh Chinese chives for the perfect lunch or dinner!
Why I love this recipe
- Simple: Made with a few simple pantry staples, TikTok ramen is a dish you can whip up during busy weekdays or evenings.
- Customizable: Completely customize this recipe to suit your taste preferences. Make it spicier or sweeter, add tofu, or try it with rice instead. There are so many choices!
- Delicious: If you’re someone that loves big, bold flavors, this dish hits sweet, spicy, salty, and umami flavor elements.
- Diet-friendly: Already vegan, this ramen recipe can easily be adapted to be gluten-free.
What is TikTok ramen?
TikTok ramen is a recipe that was first introduced to the world by TikTok star harleen.eats. In a similar fashion to Malaysian mee goreng, there is no broth involved! Instead, ramen noodles are tossed in a sauce made of butter, garlic, soy, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. For a little protein, scrambled eggs are added.
With how simple, affordable, and delicious it looked in the videos, I thought of re-creating this recipe in a completely plant-based way. I’m happy to report that once everything is mixed together, I honestly don’t think you’ll be able to tell it’s plant-based! With the addition of Just Egg, the texture is spot on.
Is TikTok ramen vegan?
The original TikTok ramen recipe uses butter and eggs to create the finished product, making it vegetarian-friendly. Swapping out butter with vegan butter, and using Just Egg instead of regular eggs makes this plant-based dish rival the taste of the original.
Why everything bagel spice?
Everything But The Bagel Seasoning is one of the most popular spice blends in America. You can put it on pretty much anything from avocado toast to mac and cheese.
Originally only available on actual everything bagels, Trader Joe’s is credited for launching the first seasoning blend back in 2017. Since then, it’s taken the internet by storm. It consists of poppy seeds, white and black sesame seeds, minced garlic, onion flakes, and coarse sea salt.
It comes as no surprise that it works perfectly for this TikTok ramen recipe as it’s quite similar to furikake, which is a Japanese sesame seed and seaweed seasoning. You can find this blend added to various rice and noodle dishes throughout Japan.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ramen noodles: Used from a package of ramen (discard the flavor packet, or save it for another recipe). Ramen can also be replaced with your favorite rice noodles.
- Just Egg: To replace the scrambled eggs, I like to add Just Egg. For a more inexpensive option, use crumbled tofu mixed with a little nutritional yeast and turmeric.
- Vegan butter: Sauté the garlic in vegan butter for a rich flavor. If you don’t have vegan butter, substitute it with avocado oil or sesame oil.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic provides a zesty, savory, and punchy flavor. I wouldn't recommend replacing it with garlic powder, if possible!
- Soy sauce: To better control the salt level, opt for low-sodium soy sauce. For a gluten-free option, use tamari, liquid aminos, or coconut aminos.
- Brown sugar: Adds deep, rich, and complex flavors. If you don’t have brown sugar, replace it with coconut sugar, turbinado sugar, or muscovado sugar.
- Red pepper flakes: For a touch of spice, use red pepper flakes. You can also add chili garlic sauce in their place. If you are sensitive to spice, omit the red pepper flakes. If you like extra spice, add Sriracha hot sauce like me!
- Chinese chives: Used as a garnish to add a pop of color and a gentle garlicky flavor.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Use a store-bought variety for convenience, or easily make your own with white and black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced garlic, onion flakes, and coarse salt.
- Step 1: Cook the ramen noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set the noodles aside with ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Step 2: In a wok or pan, heat the butter over low. Add red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 10 seconds. Then, stir in the brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Step 3: Add the drained noodles to the sauce, and toss everything until they are well coated. Transfer the noodles to another bowl while you cook the Just Egg.
- Step 4: Turn the heat to low-medium, and pour in the Just Egg liquid. Use a spatula to scrape and push the liquid from edges to the center across the pan. Once the scrambled vegan eggs are fluffy and cooked, remove them from the heat and use the spatula to break them into bite-size pieces.
- Step 5: Add the noodles back into the pan with the vegan scrambled eggs, and toss everything together. Season with chives and Everything Bagel Seasoning. Add Sriracha hot sauce for an extra kick!
What to serve with TikTok ramen
Once you're finished making ramen, serve it alongside a flavorful drink like one of these:
Storage & Reheating
If you have leftover TikTok ramen, take a look at these simple storage instructions:
- Fridge: Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing this recipe since the noodles will significantly change in texture once thawed.
- Reheating: Reheat your ramen noodles in a skillet over medium-low for about 3-4 minutes, or until everything is warmed through. If the noodles are clumping together, add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable broth or water and continue stirring.
- Protein: Incorporate additional plant-based proteins like tempeh, tofu, TVP, or seitan.
- Vegetables: For a more vegetable-forward dish, add ingredients like shiitake mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, shallots, bell peppers, or bok choy.
- Spicy: If you’re a fan of spice, serve your ramen with a drizzle of Sriracha aioli or chili garlic sauce.
- Noodles: Try using different noodles like vermicelli, udon, soba, or glass noodles.
- Garnishes: Keep things simple with Chinese chives or scallions, or add chopped cilantro, peanuts, and lime juice.
- Reserve the noodle water: Save about ¼ - ½ cup of water from the noodles just in case you need to thin the sauce.
- Al dente: Don’t overcook the noodles! They should be cooked to al dente.
- Watch the garlic: Keep a close eye on the garlic as it sautés. You’re going for fragrant, not burnt! Garlic will add a bitter flavor to the noodles if it burns.
No, TikTok ramen is made from noodles containing gluten. To make it gluten-free, swap out the soy sauce for tamari and use gluten-free ramen noodles, rice noodles, or rice.
You don’t have to use Just Egg at all. You can either omit it completely or use crumbled tofu instead.
TikTok ramen is a meal that can easily be part of a healthy and balanced meal plan. For a lower-calorie option, reduce the amount of overall sugar and vegan butter used.
If you’re a fan of noodle and pasta dishes, be sure to check out some more of Green Heart Love’s most popular recipes like these:
- Chow fun noodles: A simple recipe featuring vegetables, tofu, and wide rice noodles.
- Vegan ramen noodles: Ramen noodles bathed in a lemongrass sauce.
- Vegan baked pasta: Another TikTok trend turned plant-based.
- Linguini pasta: A flavorful pasta dish with garlic herb sauce.
- 1 packet ramen noodles
- ½ cup Just Egg liquid
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced or paste
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon Chinese chives chopped
- 2 teaspoon Everything but the Bagel Sesame to season
- Cook ramen noodles in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside with ¼ cup of noodle water.
- In a wok or pan, heat butter over low heat. Add red pepper flakes and cooke for 10 seconds. Then stir in the brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Add the drained noodles to the sauce and toss till they are properly coated. Then place the noodles in another bowl and keep aside.
- Using the same pan, turn the heat to low-medium. Pour in the in just egg liquid and use a spatula to scrape and push the liquid from edges to the center across the pan. Once the scrambled vegan eggs are fluffy and cooked, then remove from heat and use the spatula to break the it into bite size pieces.
- Add the noodles back into the pan with the vegan scrambled eggs and toss them all together. Season with chives and Everything but the Bagel Sesame.Side note: I like to add a drizzle of sriracha for a little more spice.
Leave a Reply